WordPress is an open-source content management system (CMS) that is excellent for personal websites. It is easy to install and use, with a vast number of themes and plugins that can help you customize and extend your website, and it is free.
With WordPress, you can create your own personal website, a family website, an online diary blog, or a research website, to name just a few examples. It is highly customizable, allowing you to design and customize your website as you see fit using themes and plugins.
If you are familiar with HTML, CSS, and PHP, you can further customize your website, but even without these skills, you can create a great website. A large community of users and developers is available to provide support, mostly in English with no guaranteed response times.
We offer assistance with installation, selecting the right templates, and making wise choices of plugins to ensure the security and stability of your web presence. Our support is available in German and English, and you can typically expect a response within 12 hours.
WordPress is popular, even among hackers! Here are some important measures to enhance the security of your WordPress website:
- Keep WordPress and all plugins up to date: Always use the latest version of WordPress and install security updates for all installed plugins.
- Use a strong password: Employ a secure password for your WordPress administrator account and change it regularly.
- Use a secure connection (SSL/TLS): Ensure a secure HTTPS connection to encrypt all data exchanged between your website and users.
- Regularly back up your website: Make regular backups of your website to ensure you can restore it in case of a hacker attack or other issues.
- Use an anti-spam plugin: Employ an anti-spam plugin to prevent unwanted spam comments and form submissions.
- Use a security plugin: Install a security plugin to protect your website from hacker attacks and monitor for any changes to your site.
- Use two-factor authentication: Implement two-factor authentication to ensure that only authorized users can access your WordPress administrator interface.
Please note that this is not a comprehensive list of all measures to improve the security of your WordPress website, but these are some of the most important steps you should take to keep your site secure.
Tips for Using Plugins
Currently, there are over 60,000 plugins available. Some are created by professional developers, while others are developed by enthusiastic hobby programmers. Quality and price vary greatly and are not necessarily dependent on the price. Therefore, a fundamental recommendation is nearly impossible, but these tips should help you make your website safe and trouble-free when using plugins with WordPress.
- Choose carefully: Check the reviews and the update date of a plugin before installing it to ensure that it is secure and up-to-date.
- Don’t use too many plugins: Too many plugins can slow down your website and make it unstable. Use only those you really need.
- Keep your plugins updated: Regularly update all installed plugins to ensure they are compatible with the latest version of WordPress and other plugins.
- Delete plugins that are no longer maintained.
- Deactivate or remove unused plugins: If you no longer use a plugin, deactivate or remove it to ensure it does not create security vulnerabilities on your site.
- Check compatibility: Verify if the plugin is compatible with your current version of WordPress and other installed plugins before installing it.
- Check support: Ensure the plugin is provided by a reliable developer and has an active community or good support.
- Read the documentation: Carefully read the documentation and instructions for using a plugin before installing it to ensure you use it correctly.
- Purchase plugins only when you are ready to bear the annual maintenance costs.
If you need technical support or want to entrust the care of your website, feel free to reach out to us.
In our projects, we use the following plugins:
- 3D FlipBook
- CookieYes | GDPR Cookie Consent
- Contact Form 7
- Google XML Sitemaps
- Sassy Social Share
- Ultimate Member
- UpdraftPlus WordPress Backup Plugin
- User Role Editor
- Widget Options
- WP Hide & Security Enhancer
- WP Super Cache